Saturday, November 14, 2009

Macy's Clearance Warehouse Sale

It is close to 2am, and I am still up, uploading pictures and typing this - the story about how I (nearly) wiped out the shelves at Macy.

Apologies beforehand, this post is short and snappy. Cos I need to sleep ASAP to regain my energy for another day (read: third day in a row) at the Macy's Warehouse Sale.

Noris and I had planned to take the day off on Thursday to shop. So on Thursday morning, we met at the Palace of the Golden Horses, and drove to the sale. We nearly got lost, but thankfully there were clear signages once near Balakong. We arrived just minutes after 10am (opening time), and immediately went to look for sofas. Not a full seater sofa or anything since I am planning to angkut my existing sofa to the new house. I was just aiming for a sofa bed for the living hall upstairs. Untuk golek golek sambil tengok TV...

The first hall we visited. This is just one of the two halls that housed sofas.

The sofa bed. From 1K plus, discounted to RM399. Matches my existing brown arm chair.

We also managed to be among the first 50 to RSVP to the sale, thus entitled for free delivery for anything we purchase. Can you see my name?

A closer look. Can you see my name now?


Second stop, mattresses! Purchased an extra queen size bed for the guest bedroom in the new house.

My bar stools for my breakfast bar. The fabric is velvet. Due to the fact that they only had two of these, I had to sit on these chairs to book them, while they wrote the sales order! This was going at RM145 each.

Aiden's study chair table. Noris laughed when I told her this. I know Aiden is only 7 months old, but I should be well prepared right??? This was going at RM99. A bit pricey, but I like the unique modern design. Ah tutup sebelah mata, and bayar!

My shopping partner in crime.


No more pictures of the sale. Why? Because my hands were full. There were so many people. We had to make three trips to the car to offload stuff. I did not have breakfast. There was only laksa for lunch. I was thirsty, hot and tired. There were only fans to provide air circulation in the halls. It was raining cats and dogs at one point. Get the drift?

A few disappointments as well. I failed to secure two beautiful solid wood bookcases, selling at RM175 each. It was definitely a steal! The other disappointment was when I tertinggal a queen size bedsheet set which I had paid for. Aarrgghh!!!

But overall I was happy with all my purchases and savings. I bought 3 pairs of night curtains at RM45 per pair. 2 pairs of day curtains also at RM45 per pair. These curtains are odd sized curtains, and we didn't have the time to measure. Like most of the other patrons, we adopted the just-grab-and-hope-it-fits mindset.

I also purchased a whole lot of other knick knacks. Bear with me, i'll explain in greater detail further down this entry. If you can't wait, just scroll down........

First up, I decided to try the maroon curtains. Fabric is velvet. Really thick. Looks expensive. Length was just right. Unfortunately, width did not fit.

(Please forgive the mess. Rumah macam tongkang pecah lepas angkut semua barang yang dibeli masuk rumah!)

Next up, the beige curtains. Length was perfect. Unfortunately same case as the maroon ones, insufficient width. I was nearly screaming in frustration at this point. Told Bibik to take it down and tried to adjust the gap between each curtain hook to make it longer.

Finally, we MADE the curtain fit. Yes, I know. The gap between the curtain hooks are massive. Oh well, not so noticeable right? Right?

The finished product, a newly revamped living room!

Clear glass bowl, RM27. Three stalks of orchids, ~RM50.

Side table lamp, RM69. Only one was available. Hancurlah niat sebenar to use it as a bedside table lamp. *sigh*

Stand lamp, RM114. Throw pillows, RM20 each (each throw pillow = cushion and pillow case)

I slept well that night. Very satisfied.


Second day.

A part of me wanted to go to the sale again. I was frustrated at the fact that I only managed to purchase one side table lamp. I wanted another!

And I wanted to look for more curtains. Another curtain (black) I purchased was missing one panel! I also wanted to see whether they had any more bookcases to sell.

So off I went during lunch. Okay tipu. I left the office a bitttttt earlier than lunch.

The crowd wasn't as bad as the day before. Maybe because it was slightly raining. As I was rummaging through the mountain of curtains, suddenly they announced that they were having an auction for sofas. Part of me was reluctant to leave the unpaid curtains I had set aside. But a part of me was curious to witness the auction.

So off to the auction. The first item they auctioned was a two seater black sofa, going at RM500. No one even tried to bid for it. Kesian Macy.

Second item was a 2 1/2 seater maroon sofa, also going at RM500. I didn't know why, but my hand shot up to bid for it!!! Padahal I had already purchased the sofa bed the day before!

I was the only person who placed a bid. So duhhh... I got it for RM500! Needless to say, I was the catalyst for the auction. People started to become more confident, and subsequent sofas were auctioned in a flash! I even had a few people approach me to pujuk me to sell my sofa to them.

My auction sofa. Removable and washable cover. Very comfy. Love it! Long enough to be able to baring while tengok TV!

And I bought it at only RM500!!!

The best part was that I was able to get a refund for the sofa bed I purchased earlier. So all I needed to do was top up the diference! I was so happy that I cancelled the idea of buying more curtains. The leftover curtains weren't that great anyway!

Back home, tried the maroon curtains in the master bedroom. Again, I had to MAKE it fit. But all worth it!

Another look at the living room. Now you can see the sheer day curtains. And I purchased new throw pillows for the sofa.

A closer look at the stand lamp. 70% off making it only RM114.
A closer look at the desk lamp. 70% off making it only RM69.

Both lamps are height adjustable.

Outer layer of the lamps are made of strings.

Earlier mentioned throw pillows, RM20 each.

Always a necessary item in a new house. New pillows. RM27 each.

Candles. RM10

Baking trays, RM 10 each. The Dutch Oil Company should be really proud of me for buying a shell shaped baking tray.

Each pack of paper plates, RM3. If you attend Aiden's 1st birthday party and see this, please don't scream out loud "Oh, so this is the three ringgit plates!" *grin*

Carpet for Aiden's future room. Basketball inspired. Hopefully Aiden membesar jadi tinggi to be able to play basketball! RM59.

Pinjam carpet Aiden kejap. This is a table lamp.

This is the base.

This is how you assemble it.

I like the shape. Very modern. Each was going at RM50.

Okay cukuplah tu. I need to sleep. Tomorrow is another day. Shall update with more bargains from the sale tomorrow!

P.S: I purchased a lot of small knick knacks which is not reflected in here. And they are really cheap. My advise, go before its too late!!!

2 comments:

  1. hi liz,
    i like ur living deco. can i "pinjam" ur idea for my living hall? i like the orchid and the yellow light :)

    salam perkenalan

    ur silence reader
    -izza-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Izza!

    Love it that my silent reader has spoken. Thank you for reading my blog. Boleh boleh go ahead, pinjam idea tuh. But to be perfectly honest, I'm not that good at ID decorating. My husband is better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for leaving a comment. ;) All comments are moderated. Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...